Tuesday 13 November 2012

Dilligaf Update

Work on the dinghy has progressed somewhat slowly due to work and family restraints. All the decking has now been removed to the workshop ready to be transferred to the new 6mm ply. I've started to reinforce the decking beams and secure any loose timbers. Any softening wood is being treated with a rotten wood hardener. I've bought some epoxy and glass tape which will also be used to strengthen her up. I've noticed a couple of the hull planks have gone a trifle soft, but this shouldn't be too much of a task to sort out.
When all the decking timbers are sorted and ready to receive the decking planks I will turn the boat over and crack on with the hull. I'll resist the urge to fix the decking so it doesn't get damaged when upside down. The hull will be stripped, repaired, epoxied and painted. When that's done it'll be turned again for work to carry on, on varnishing the thwarts and decks. Then all the running rigging can be reattached. Altogether I am anticipating the whole project to take approx 4 months. This time scale largely depends on how many people pester me into going to the rubbish tip for them because they have completely impractical vehicles, good for very little other than giving them something to polish.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
On the garden front I did manage to dig over the tomato greenhouse and incorporate a good two barrows of well rotted manure. From the polytunnel I harvested 2lbs of black grapes. These will go into my wife's terrific grape jelly. Damn she can cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment